Friday, September 14, 2007

More pictures that didn't make it in the last entry

Last week I woke up one morning and had the urge to make a roasted tomato soup. It sounds really strange, but since I haven't been feeling like cooking anything lately I acted on my impulse and started on a vegetable stock and put the tomatoes in the oven while I was making our breakfast. The recipe I used was pretty easy and our soup was done before we went to the park that morning. For lunch then I made some grilled cheese sandwiches and dished up some of the warm soup. Einar hasn't touched soup in about a year, but I gave him a small bowl of it anyway and we sat down to eat. Well he was feeling adventurous and gave the soup a taste. "I tried it!" he said and then "It good!" He ate the whole serving and then asked for more! He wanted to know what vegetables were in the soup I think since he'd seen me make it in the big pot that morning. Needless to say, we enjoyed it for several more meals and have a bit left in the freezer for a future meal.

Rally Day at church was also last week. Our Savior's Lutheran here in San Clemente goes all out on Rally Day each Fall. It is the Sunday that begins all of the fall programs like Sunday School and Wednesday night activities. It is a HUGE party after the services complete with the IN-N-Out truck serving burgers, a dunk tank, snow cones, a bounce house, water games, face painting, etc. We weren't able to go last year, but this time Einar and I had a great time. The cheeseburger I had was really yummy (Einar ate his grilled cheese on the way home in the car since all of the excitement makes it hard to focus on food). He threw some tennis balls at the dunk tank, munched on a blue snow cone, and had a lizard painted on his arm. He thought the lizard was really cool! It later washed off in the pool when we went swimming.