Thursday, July 27, 2006

Ants and Corn on the Cobb





Einar just went to sleep about 20 minutes ago. We had a good morning at Lantern Bay park in Dana Point with lots of our friends in the shade of the trees and in the sunny sand of thet playground. Lunch was at Denny's and then it was straight home for a much needed nap. Before dinner we hit the pool for a cool down and then we had a yummy dinner of bar-b-que salmon, corn on the cobb, green beans, bulger wheat with dill and for dessert dixie cups with fresh strawberries (Einar chose not to eat the strawberries so I got to eat his!). I was amazed at Einar's corn-eating skills--he at the whole cobb clean! He also nibbled on some of the beans, but the salmon and bulger wheat were not appreciated.

We've had ants and heat this past week, both of which are a bit bothersome. On Saturday it was 108 degrees and on Monday it got to 102. The humidity has been in the 60%'s which doesn't make it any more comfortable for Seattle natives. I know that it has been got all over the past week or two, but it's been such a big part of our week that I had to mention the heat. Several days we've escaped the breeze-less heat and gone to the mall in the late afternoon to play in the kid area--kids get to run around and the moms get to enjoy the air conditioning.

I've been at war with the ants since they appeared on the scene again late last week. We've had several months without an ant invasion, but they appeared in full force again coming up our stairs. AFter I'd scrubbed them up one afternoon, they returned and brought more friends into the kitchen. I guess Argentinian ants are real pests in Southern California and hard to get rid of. I've scrubbed with soap and water to eliminate their trails and positioned ant stakes around the cupboards and now they seem to have diminished in numbers significantly I hope it stays that way since they do really bother me, especially when they are marching around my kitchen cupboards. At least they don't bite us.