Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Night to Remember

Well tonight was an evening for the record books. Jared called around 4 and was already through with work for the day so he suggested that we meet for dinner. We decided on a pizza place in Del Mar--halfway between San Clemente and Coronado--and headed out the door. All was going well until we placed our order and then Einar just started crying. Who knew he didn't want spicy Italian sausage or Mediterranean pizza for dinner?

We couldn't comfort, entertain, or interest him in any of the food. Thankfully it was a relatively noisy restaurant, but even so we ended up leaving in a hurry with our pizza in boxes and a very upset little guy. Not even when we got outside did he settle down. He essentially cried in pain for nearly an hour. We noisily made our way over to the Ralph's grocery store to buy some more Vitamin T (Tylenol) to get Einar dosed up. We figured that it had to be another tooth making its way into the world since I'd seen a bit of a swollen gum earlier in the day. It was so sad and absolutely hair pulling at the same time not being able to do anything to help him feel better.

So much with a nice dinner together as a family. I felt like the best thing to do would be to just get him home even though the hour long ride home was bound to be loud. We had to say good-bye to Jared who made his way back to Coronado to watch the Gilmore Girls and do some more studying. I hated to see him go and the trip Einar and I had to make back to San Clemente. I even offered to take Jared's navigation course for him if he would trade. Einar cried on and off nearly all the way home and crashed about 5 minutes before we pulled into the garage.

I got him inside and changed his diaper and took off his socks. The Tylenol must have kicked in on the ride home because when I took off his shoes and sweaty socks, Einar just started giggling. When I leaned down to make sure he was laughing and not crying, he gave me a grin and then a big raspberry. My little boy came back! I could even see the tip of a tooth peeking through his upper gum when he smiled. Those teeth come in so fast!

He's sleeping now and I have the Vitamin T out on the counter ready to help him with more tooth pain should it start bothering him again.

You read about having to leave restaurants because the baby is inconsolable, but it just hadn't happened to us yet. I just wish we had been able to spend a more relaxing evening with Jared, but thankful that Einar has recovered from his episode. Oh, and this entry doesn't have pictures because although I brought the camera with us, it wasn't really a picture-taking evening.

No comments: